Friday, January 25, 2013

Day 12 (Jan. 24): Enter Natalie, Stage Right

ANSWER: Post-medieval ballads about this outlaw are the source for his companion Marian.

-Day Twelve-

Here's the unfortunate truth, if you had to chalk up anything out of today, it may be that it was the worst day of the trip. Okay, maybe the least eventful, but it was heavily because of travel. We didn't sit around doing anything fun. We were in perpetual motion. What makes it the worst is not necessarily that I don't travel a lot, but because there is no novelty. There isn't much in terms of introductory material. All it was really was a whole ton of travelling.
There isn't too much that I can share about the pre-leaving stuff besides that I packed a bag, read my Alan Sepinwall book, and waited until we left for the train. That is really the extent to my day before 3 PM. After that, it was pretty much time for us to catch the train. A bunch of school children made sure that the train was jam packed. I thought ahead and packed on a bunch of podcasts, notably the Auteurcast episodes on Panic Room and Zodiac as well as a Fresh Air interview with Lena Dunham. Halfway through that conversation, I found myself returning to that lost 20-something mindset and thinking that she was a genius. Her dialogue is just so fresh and I envy her. I want to be a contributing voice to this generation in history, but I just need to keep going.
Also, I am not telling anyone around here, mostly because of semantics, but my plan when I first get home is rather simple. Either I fall asleep, go out and have dinner and talk about my trip. Maybe hug the cat. However the first thing that I will do when everyone leaves me alone is marathon the three episodes of Girls from season two that has aired so far. Listening to that Fresh Air interview has gotten me convinced that I am missing something great. As it stands, reading online that this may be better than season one is unbelievable, because that was flawless (okay, not flawless, but you get my drift). How can they possibly top it? THAT is what I plan to do once the world leaves me alone. Sit on my bed and just watch 90 minutes of Girls. Also, I have gone the longest IN MY LIFE without watching the Simpsons. It is unnerving, really. 
If one person I feel bad for on the trip, it is Alex. Here's the thing. Since we are staying at Natalie's house, and it will be crowded, he had to bring a duvet (or a big bag with bed stuff), which in my brief time carrying it was pretty heavy. I felt bad for him and my shoulder bag-esque stuff for the few nights there pales in comparison. Also consider the compacted train, it was a tight squeeze at times and it was a pain for him to walk through the aisles. My sympathies go out to him, though he is doing all right. 
To give you an idea of the amount of time that we took public transportation, it went like this: a 90 minute train ride connected to a 60 minute train ride connected to a 20 minute train ride connected to a 20 minute boat ride to another 20 minute train ride. For anyone doubting that podcasts are the future, you must download a few and go on a super long train ride. Your sanity will thank you. 
Still, nothing eventful for most of that ride. Nothing really worth reporting about. We met Natalie in Portsmouth for the boat ride. Instead of sharing the long, dull next hour of transportation, I will just dive into a rambling on Alex. 
I am aware that Alex has had girlfriends. I have talked to a few of them and they seem like decent people. However, this may be the first one that I have met. True, Alex did date Alex B., though I question if I should count that since Alex B. and I had a developed relationship before they briefly hooked up. Anyways, I am just going to say that this is the first girlfriend that I have met of Alex's that I knew very little about. I was hoping things would go smoothly, or the next three days would be a real pain.
From what vague interaction I had with her on the rides over, she seems like a good girl. However, I must champion Alex's character. I get the sense that he cares for her just with the little things. He helps her at work and they seem to be partners in menial tasks. I get the sense that he cares and in many ways, it makes me wonder when I will actually feel like I care about someone. It sucks to think this way, but I have been alone, mostly connecting with people on an impersonal level and hoping good behavior attracts them. I am not saying my life is total abyss, but I have trouble finding someone that I want to care about. I suppose that I apply to the 1 close friend than 100 impersonal friends policy. Excuses, excuses. 
But Natalie seems nice and I cannot really find too many faults. They both seem to be responsible adults and together they make a reasonable couple. I'll stop talking, but I guess I just approve. After a dinner where I got to meet the parents, we went into her room for the next few hours and watched TV. 
We mostly flipped through music video channels. I got a crash course introduction to the pop bands of their 90's with the likes of Blue and Five. They had a bunch of stories about who was cool and who was a dick. Somehow one of the few songs that we listened to all the way through was "It's Raining Men." However, the biggest deal for me was that I finally saw the video for Ray Parker Jr.'s "Ghostbusters," which lead me to be like "What is Al Franken doing in this video?" It was quite a trip, though I still have no idea why this video had John Candy and Chevy Chase cameos (the latter of whom appeared twice). Natalie has no idea who they were, but my love of SNL cannot keep me from noticing them. 
Then we watched AKA, a channel dedicated to user submitted rap videos. Now,  I want to say upfront that while I find modern American rap to be ridiculously shallow, there is some sincerity to it that keeps it from being hilarious. Cut to British rap, notably this white guy named Devlin. He has no real flow and his baddassery was not quite that great. While I am not going to argue that England doesn't have any hoods, I doubt they compare to Detroit. Devlin was exceptionally awkward, as he had the passion, but his lyrics were just ridiculous and I had no belief that he was exactly legitimately good. There was even a video where they had screens of him performing over England's biggest monuments and it looked totally hoaky. When he said "You're being brainwashed," I couldn't help but laugh.
There was also another video. I had no idea who the artist was, but the song was "Grown Ass Man" and it only was a great punchline because the video was totally absurd. The guy was rapping about being mature and responsible, but he was doing it on a swing, in a bumper car, and for some reason flashing a Toy Story 3 Ken Doll. Also, the characters had Lego heads for no real reason. Again, lyrics were not that impressive and for once, I felt like America did something better, notably proven when Eminem's "Lose Yourself" came on. 
Before I totally write off rap music from the UK, let me note that I am wondering how things got here. I thoroughly enjoyed Lady Sovereign's "Public Warning" album, and I argue that there are definitely a few really solid other artists. For instance, the artist that I somehow consider to be the pioneer (or at very least, the first notable UK rap artist in America) is Mike Skinner aka The Streets. I consider him to be an acquire taste rhythmically, but I did enjoy songs off of his first three albums. I figured it was a good sign of England doing the genre, but without appearing to be just a clone. Also, Dizzee Rascal, who was prominently featured at the Olympics, is one that I haven't quite gotten into, but another notable name. In fact, it has been seven years since I sincerely can think of solid UK rap artists. Someone solve this so I don't think that Devlin is the only thing you guys have produced.
We also watched this show that was essentially cinematic auctions. They found antiques from movies and auctioned them off to bidders. Where it was initially chosen because Alex was into the Star Trek stuff, I got on board when I noticed a sleestak was involved. I don't know if Alex actually watched Land of the Lost, but damn, was that an exciting moment for me. I have an odd love with that show in that I will watch it if it is on, but I probably will not buy the box set. Then there was... drum roll... the Invisible Man poster, which is a really old and really rare version. I must enjoy the irony that this has now been referenced during 80% of my stay, and this time in a very, very blatant way.
It ran for $200,000, and Alex was concerned that nobody should play that much for a piece of paper. But let us note, that first off, this film is a classic of the era and that poster is gorgeous. The James Whale film with Claude Rains. Look it up. That poster is gorgeous. Alex calls that film crap, but I wonder if he is thinking of the same one that they were actually referencing. As much as I dislike the Antiques Roadshow shows, I really was into that auction for the Invisible Man poster. It is just... so... gorgeous. 
This was pretty much the rest of the night until around midnight, when we finally called it quits and I retreated to my room, which was a nice combo of a mattress on the floor with the walls being lined with dolls and figurines that definitely screamed a good hearted woman. I couldn't quite get to sleep right away, so I decided to watch Girl Walk // All Day, and I sincerely feel the warmth in that movie now. The ending is so beautiful, which is odd since I initially found it overwhelming. However, I still argue that there is gay subtext, even though it is mostly because the romance feels like it goes from being between the Girl and the Gentleman to the Gentleman and the Creep. Of course, narration goes out the window in the last 10 minutes, but dammit, I wish that the video lasted three hours. I kind of love it too much to make it to the end.
I am not even sure anymore, and I pray that this isn't just a fad. I love that film and wonder if I'll burn out on it, or if I will actually learn to embrace it as one of my all time favorites. It is entering Juno territory now with how often I have seen it: four times straight through, at least 20 not connected. In a sense, it is almost too simple of a story to really explain why it hits me so emotionally, but it is just so thrilling that I cannot stop watching it. Also, the camera work just impresses me every time. 
I'll stop with that for now. As it is, I am currently on my own in the Isle of Wight for a brief period. Why is this? Alex is helping Natalie at her shop and I would just be a nuisance there. Killing time at a cafe called Bagel Wrap. Not much really to report other than it is giving me plenty of personal time to catch up on movie news and just check  my mail. I am hoping that next week I will be able to jump on a chance to review Quentin Dupieaux's Wrong. I have been looking forward to that movie FOREVER. Also, please do yourself a favor and watch the Inside Llewellyn Davis trailer. It really justifies why I love the Coen Brothers. 
No Sundance news, and I cannot really say hello to family, as it is probably pitch black where they are. All I can do is enjoy my time with a computer. It has been a fun trip and I don't want to see it end, but at the same time, the two weeks have really shown themselves and I feel that I am almost too comfortable being abroad to the point of disbelief. This may sound redundant, sure, but I cannot believe how calming it is to be here. True, I miss the basic needs, but it is not like an internment camp. I will survive, and I have nicely. 
Tomorrow should be interesting. I have strayed from really saying it, but Natalie is putting on a burlesque gig and Alex is doing stand-up. I am hoping to enjoy it, but also concerned that somehow I will get awkwardly emotional. Provocative stuff is not really something I partake in all that much. I'm acting like this is life changing, but seriously, for someone who has trouble finding anyone appealing enough to talk to, I just wonder how things will go. Again, I will survive, but part of me feels like I will break into a "I'm more interested in how you did that" mindset. Fuck my intellect brain.
Anyways, having fun. Will continue to have fun. No need to worry about me. However, you will not stop me from naming tomorrow's entry "Where all the Wight women at?" I have seriously been keeping that in reserves since I heard about this place. 


QUESTION: Who is Robin Hood?

No comments:

Post a Comment